Dual Immersion Academy
Elementary Schools K - 5 Target Language: Spanish
Bell Gardens Elementary (562) 927-1223
La Merced Elementary (323) 721-5043
Winter Gardens Elementary (323) 268-0477
Intermediate School 6-8 Target Language: Spanish
La Merced Intermediate (323) 772-7262
Montebello Intermediate (323) 721-5111
DUAL IMMERSION ACADEMY (DIA) MANDARIN
The Montebello Unified School District (MUSD) is excited at the prospect of expanding our already successful Dual Immersion Academies (DIA) for the 2018-2019 school year with a Mandarin Target Language Academy!
The expansion is contingent upon the interest and commitment from families into this Mandarin Dual Academy at Bella Vista Elementary School. Our goal is to have 50 students enrolled in this program prior to the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
Mandarin (coming soon)
WHEN CAN MY CHILD ENTER THE DUAL IMMERSION ACADEMY?
Your child should enter in kindergarten or first grade. However, older children who are Spanish proficient or have been enrolled in Bilingual Education programs may be eligible.
The Montebello Unified School District launched the Dual Immersion Academy during the 1999-2000 school year. MUSD currently houses the Dual Immersion Academy at Bell Gardens Elementary (K-5th), La Merced Elementary (K-5th), Winter Gardens Elementary (K-5th), La Merced Intermediate (6th-8th) and Montebello Intermediate (6th-8th).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW AM I INVOLVED AS A PARENT?
As a parent of a child in dual immersion, you will support your child by encouraging him/her in mastering both languages. There are also many opportunities to work directly with the school staff to provide additional support.
ARE MY CHILD’S TEACHERS QUALIFIED?
Yes! Dual immersion teachers all hold advanced degrees, are specially trained in language instruction, and have a proven track record of success in both language instruction and on California’s standardized exams.
WHAT IS THE DUAL IMMERSION ACADEMY?
In dual immersion programs, children are taught literacy and academic content in two languages.
BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS
- Your child will receive support to attain high levels of achievement in English and Spanish literacy.
- Your child will be immersed in an academically rigorous environment.
- Your child will be part of a diverse learning group.
- Your child will be able to communicate effectively in English and Spanish.
- Your child will make progress towards the Seal of Biliteracy
- Your child will be prepared to meet the economic needs for the 21st Century.
- Bilingualism: High levels of proficiency in English and a second language.
- Biliteracy: High levels of academic proficiency in English and a second language.
- Multicultural Competence: Understanding of different cultures and development of high self esteem.