Programs developed using Federal and State Funding are based on scientific research. Significant areas of this research are listed below by category. Additionally, links to important Federal and State resources are provided.
ONLINE READING ASSESSMENT, MATH ASSESSMENT AND SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTION
Let’s Go Learn provides innovative online tools to drive long-term measurable academic success using a central hub of efficient, research-based diagnostic assessment, differentiated instruction, program placement, and historic data storage.
Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment (DORA)
DORA is a comprehensive, valid, and reliable web-based assessment that diagnostically assesses your child’s reading abilities. Functioning like a personal reading specialist, it adapts to your child as they respond to each question in the online program, getting harder or easier as needed to complete the diagnosis. DORA’s interactive style makes testing fun, engages students, and enables testing from any location, including your own home.
- Measures eight sub-skills of reading
- K-12 content adapts to each learner’s ability in real-time
- Interactive technology features a mix of audio, text, and multimedia images to engage all students
The eight sub-skills of reading assessed by DORA are: high-frequency words, word recognition, phonics, phonemic awareness, oral vocabulary, spelling, reading comprehension, and fluency. By examining multiple reading measures together, DORA reveals your child’s unique reading profile.
Diagnostic Online Math Assessment (DOMA)
DOMA Basic Math Skills is a comprehensive, valid and reliable web-based assessment that diagnostically assesses students' math abilities. The adaptive nature of the assessment maximizes the useful information that parents receive while reducing the total assessment time for students.
DOMA Basic Math Skills assesses students' K-5 math abilities, including:
- Number skills, from number recognition to calculations of fractions and decimals
- Measurement skills, including time, money, units of measurement, capacity, area, etc.
The individual math profile generated for each student enables parents to clearly identify specific math constructs in need of targeted instruction. DOMA's web-based platform allows for easy at-home assessment that can lead to dramatic math score improvement. DOMA Basic Math Skills is appropriate as a screening or diagnostic tool for students in grades K-5 and for remedial math students. Reports are instantly available for parents to download, view or print. Accompanying instructional suggestions help parents develop meaningful activities that will support their child's learning.
SCIENTIFICALLY BASED RESEARCH
High Performing Schools whose students are considered High Poverty
SCIENTIFICALLY BASED RESEARCH ON READING INSTRUCTION
Evidenced Based Reading Instruction
Teaching children to read is the most important thing our schools do. In recent years, scientists have evaluated good reading instruction and curricula to determine how to teach reading skills most effectively to young children. The researchers tell us that 95% of all children will learn to read if they are taught using—
- Systematic and explicit instruction in phonics, decoding, comprehension and literature appreciation.
- Daily exposure to a variety of texts, both fiction and nonfiction, as well as incentives to read independently and with others.
- Vocabulary instruction that emphasizes the relationships among words and among word structure, origin and meaning.
- Instruction in comprehension that includes predicting outcomes, summarizing, clarifying, questioning and visualizing.
- Frequent opportunities to write.
Websites for further research: