Parent Support Services
Our goal is to provide families with the essential tools necessary to motivate their children to obtain a world class education. A critical dimension of effective schooling is parent involvement. Research has shown conclusively that parent involvement at home and in their children’s education improves student achievement. Furthermore, when parents are involved at school, their children go further, and they go to better schools.
MUSD Belief System for Families:
- Families provide the primary education environment.
- Family involvement improves student achievement.
- Family involvement is most effective when it is comprehensive, supportive, long-lasting, and well-planned.
- The benefits of Family involvement are not limited to early childhood or the elementary level; there are continuing positive effects through high school.
- Involving families in supporting their children’s education at home is not enough. To ensure the quality of schools as institutions serving the community, families must be involved at all levels in the schools.
- The extent of family involvement in a child’s education is more important to student success than family income or education.
- We cannot look at the school and the home in isolation from one another; families and schools need to collaborate to help children adjust to the world of school. This is particularly critical for children from families with different cultural and language backgrounds.