Gifted & Talented Education Program
In California, public schools may apply for educational funds to assist in providing appropriate learning opportunities for those students identified as gifted and talented. A basic gifted program will include: testing to identify gifted students; grouping students within a class or for all or part of the school day by ability; providing curriculum that is challenging and allows continuous progress; developing social and emotional skills; training for teachers and administrators in the education of gifted learners; providing counseling and support for gifted students who are at-risk; and involving parents in the planning and evaluation of GATE programs.
To obtain a copy of the GATE law and/or a copy of the standards, go to the CAG web site (CAGifted.org ), Califfornia Department of Education - GATE web site (cagifted.orgl ), or call the CDE at 916-323-5124 or 916-323-5831. In some districts, Article 3 School-Based Education Code may apply.
The Montebello Unified School District's philosophy is:
All students will have access to the highest education possible, appropriate to their maximum capabilities aligned with the mandated state standards. Students, when participating in a differentiated curriculum, will become analytical, talented, creative thinkers and problem solvers.
The Montebello Unified School District's Vision:
To create an organization that addresses the needs and interests of our diverse and dynamic community.
The Montebello Unified School District's Mission Statement:
To create a learning community focused on preparing all students to achieve personal and academic success in the future.
- Identify and service potentially gifted and talented students in grades Kindergarten – 12.
- Identify and service underrepresented populations through various screening and researched based approaches.
- All students will meet or exceed the state academic content standards. The curriculum will be differentiated through acceleration, depth, complexity and novelty.
- GATE teachers will differentiate instruction with new emphasis on the social and emotional needs of gifted students.
- The GATE Office will provide annual professional development to MUSD elementary, intermediate and high school staff regarding the intellectual, social and emotional needs of the gifted.
MUSD GATE Program Plan
Plan del Programa para Dotados del MUSD