NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING/ NOTIFICACIÓN DE AUDIENCIA PÚBLICA
The mission of the Special Education department is to provide our school community with the skills needed to maximize the learning of all students, in an inclusive environment, through leadership and mentoring, for the benefit of our diverse society.
WHAT SPECIAL EDUCATION IS
Special Education is specially designed instruction to meet the educational needs of an identified individual with exceptional needs.
Per California Special Education Code: Article 1.56303: “A pupil shall be referred for special educational instruction and services only after the resources of the regular education program have been considered and, where appropriate, utilized.”
The specially designed instruction should:
- Be based on assessment results.
- Be individually determined and implemented.
- Be based on learning rates (rate of acquisition/retention); learning styles;learning modalities; and cultural/ethnic/linguisti considerationsd. Be outcome oriented.
- Be linked to the curriculum strategies of the regular classroom.
- Be monitored regularly and modified if necessary.